Friday, March 16, 2012

Sock Loop Potholders

We love to make potholders. It may have been the first useful craft I learned (not counting hand stitched Barbie clothes). No matter what colors or patterns you use they always come out nice. :-)

I've had these sitting around for awhile. They're mens tube socks I bought at WalMart.

I cut them into 1" +/- loops. I can make 18 to 20 white loops out of one sock.  I cut from the grey edge until I reach the ribbed part. I also use the grey toe end. I cut the sewn together end off and trim any white off the other end.    The kids play with the ribbed sections using them for pretend gauntlets, fingerless gloves or sweat bands.  :-)

Caught red handed!! I don't use rubber gloves when handling the dye like I'm supposed to. Shame, shame. So I walk around for a day or so with discolored hands--depending on how many loads of dishes I wash. :-)

I use powdered Rit dye.  This go around I used...
  • Navy Blue
  • Royal Blue
  • Dark Green
  • Teal
  • Purple
  • Wine
  • Mauve
(I also kept some plain white)

I used a heaping teaspoon of dye, 3 heaping teaspoons of salt and a generous teaspoon (which means: pour until it runs over) of laundry soap in a large stainless steel pot with 3 quarts of hot water.  I add in the loops and set the pot to warm on a low fire for 25 minutes.

This is what we ended up with more or less.
 I figured it ended up to
be around 650+ loops which will do about 17 or 18 potholders.
If all goes well. :-)

The boys and I have enjoyed working on them in the evening each night and these are what we've done so far... 

I'm using this plastic loom with a plain old safety pin to weave the loop through so that I can save the metal loom (the "ears" are bent so that the loops don't pop off) and the loop hook for the kids to use.  I have use a rubberband to keep the first end from coming loose.

We still have lots of loops left and I imagine the last few will be rather... ahem, "artistic".  :-)

No comments: