Friday, May 20, 2011

The Poop Scoop...

We've been doing some brainstorming recently about one of our concerns with the new place we are moving to (no we still haven't moved though we are getting a tiny bit closer!).  The septic system isn't very good at all and is quickly overloaded.  And who needs or wants pooling septic waste in their front yard?  Our original intention was to use the bathroom in our RV and drive it to the nearby State Park for an overnight visit once a week or so and dump the tanks there.  But since our financial status continues to slowly spiral downhill with our business, we've come to the conclusion that we just cannot afford to keep the RV and have surrendered that in the Chapter 7 bankruptcy as well.  That puts at losing everything except just our basic personal possessions.  Very humbling indeed. 

Anywho... 

We've tossed around the idea of just putting in a whole new septic system but WOW!!  That's really expensive!!  And not really an option.

So here's my brightest idea thus far...

BioLet 60 XL Deluxe Waterless Composting Toilet

This idea is, of course, not for the squeamish at heart.  But desperate times calls for desperate measures, right?  Well honestly, with my backwoods, homesteading, survival interests this is something that has always intrigued me.  And many times throughout my lifetime the only toilet facilities available were outhouses.  The composting toilet is much better (I have no aversion to using an outhouse though I'm not fond of public ones) I'm trying to decide between the electric and non-electric models.  Having had a bit of experience with power outages a few times, a stinky toilet is pretty nasty!  ;-) 
 
Living in a flood zone plays on my thoughts too.  When it floods (which isn't often) you know that septic matter is in the flood waters--even from perfectly working septic systems.  So this is a way to not contribute to that nastiness too. 
 
I will keep my readers informed of our final decisions.  I know you're on the edge of your seats!!  Giggle
 
Some links if you're interested...
 
for general info on how the toilets work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composting_toilet
http://www.letsgogreen.com/how-composting-toilets-work.html 

for my choice of composting toilets.

http://www.biolet.com/

No comments: