Saturday, August 14, 2010

An Introduction...

I'm having a crisis...

A health crisis of sorts, if you will.  About a month ago, after a bout of stress, I discovered that my blood sugar was high.  Really high.  Like 521 when I tested it on my meter.  I am not one to run to the doctor for every little thing.  Not even big things if I can help it. Here's what I did.

I fasted for the first 24 hours after that extremely high reading and then began eating only raw foods.  In my other experiences with eating 100% raw, it only takes a few days for my vision to start fuzzing up.  I stuck to it for 2 weeks and then began eating a little bit of animal protein along with my raw food.  Within 3 or 4 days there was a drastic improvement in my vision.  Some people just need more protein than others.

I have always believed in a healthy balanced approach to eating and have practiced it a good many years of my life.  But these past couple of years haven't been in that time.  We've raised grass fed cows and eaten their meat much of these past ten years but not in the recent 2 years.  Likewise with free range hens and their eggs.  Issues of time, stress, and finances have prevented me from providing our standard nutritional fare.  And we have paid the price with our health.  Cheap, convenience foods may seem helpful at the time--but there's a price to be paid in the long run.

Here are a few things that I believe...
  • As Christians our family should follow the Biblical dietary guidelines (Pt. 1 & Pt. 2) laid out in the old testament.
  •  While raw fruits and vegetables may have been the perfect diet in the Garden of Eden, our bodies have changed with the introduction of sin and some of us do better on a diet with some cooked foods and "clean" meat.
  • Having food in season (bought locally or grown ourselves) is in the best interests (financially and healthfully) of my family and our community.

My goal for this blog is to share my journey of ill health to the healing of my body through food and lifestyle changes.  I think it will prove to be an interesting journey.

No comments: