Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Celebrating a Simple Life


"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."
 Bilbo Baggins


This is what I am doing right now. Celebrating a simple life. A quiet life.  A life of not keeping up with the Joneses.  Thank you Lord.  It is freeing.

There are definite benefits to not having money. Sure, I have to cook more (from scratch, no less!) instead of running out to grab fast food because I was too busy doing who-knows-what to bother with cooking something nutritious.

And we can't afford to be out and about. But we're staying healthy by not catching everyone else's germs.

And we more often "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." (Boyd K. Packer) which is really cool to see how God provides--or that we didn't really need it after all.

It's a life of enjoying working indoors doing homey things and outdoors doing yardwork/gardening.  Of listening to the birds singing (you wouldn't believe how this place sounds like a bird sanctuary!!) everyday and enjoying the weather by varying degrees (ha ha!!  Pun intended!!).  It's a respite that I am grateful for.  I know it won't always be like this but I'm loving this low key lifestyle right now.


Daughter #2 was here for 2 weeks begining with Easter weekend.  The calm before her storm of having to go back to work at the resort where my sister works at the Lake of the Ozarks doing housekeeping. 

We pretty much kept things laid back but we did get in some driving time (she still hasn't gotten her license--our kiddos generally aren't in a real hurry to grow up.  And since we can't afford to get her a car or insurance this suits us for now.)

A beautiful sunset while driving.

We did some clothing alterations. Years ago I won this little denim miniskirt on eBay in a lot of other clothing. I didn't really know what I would do with it but kept it in case I had an epiphany... And we did! Daughter #2 cut off 10 inches of a velour dressy dress that used to belong to Daughter #4 that I had saved to use for scraps or a craft. She hand sewed the pleats and we sewed it onto the miniskirt for a cute little layered skirt.

We also added ruffles to the hem of a pair of denim shorts that were a bit too short.  But I didn't get to take a picture since she had to leave before they were finished.  Hopefully she'll send me a picture and I can post it soon.

On a sad note...  One of our neighbors died yesterday.  He was quite old.  A little over 25 years ago he loaned us the money to buy our first house--a serious fixer-upper on the Mississippi River slough (built on stilts).  And he was old then!  :-)  He lived a long, very productive and quiet life and was busy right up until the end.  I'm thankful for all that he's done for our family over the years and pray that his soul finds eternal rest.

2 comments:

jeanlivingsimple said...

I also love to live a simple life.This way of living is less stressful. Great post!!!

Michelle G said...

we are soooo desperate for a quiet life! We are almost totally moved...but our 17 year old is off and gone again. Looks like alcohol and drugs are playing a part. Sad really because he already had the opportunity for a full football scholarship. Dumb move! :(
(he doesn't have his drivers license yet...and I'm glad! who knows what trouble he'd get into with that!...as it is he'll have to wait until he's 18 and get it all by himself!)