Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cute Peat Pot Plant Markers

I've been working on potting up my seedlings that are getting too big to be in the little Jiffy Greenhouse. I somehow misplaced my stash of extra peat pots and Popsicle sticks that I use for plant markers (I just moved them around about a week ago!!) so I had to figure out a way to keep the plants that needed to be marked from getting mixed up. I thought about finding some thin pieces of wood laying around (or something) to write on. Sounded rustic and cool but seemed pretty time consuming. Then I thought I'd get out some cardstock, write on it and then laminate it. Not a bad idea, but still too much time. Then I happened to look over at my ironing board (that I've been needing to put away for some time) and saw some clothespins laying on it.

Lightbulb!!  :-)

In the background is the Mimosa tree that we
dug up from the old place last fall on one of our
last work visits.  It's grown beautifully in the windowsill.
The tree from which this little seedling came from
was a gift from our Mennonite neighbors many
years ago.  It's always bloomed beautifully right before
my birthday in late June. 

I'm starting to harden the seedlings off. I'm trying really hard to make sure nothing gets sun scalded this year.

I was hoping for some nice, gentle spring weather but these past few days have come like a summer whirlwind! It's been in the 80's within and without. We've had every available window and door open but it's still been pretty hot inside.  I am not turning on the air conditioners in March.  I'm just not.  :-P  It's looking like it's going to be pretty hot for the next week as well.  I'm getting nervous that I should have my plants in the garden already--but surely this is just temporary and things will get to be "normal" again soon???

I told DH that I really wish he had the time to build us a nice big screened in room like this...


I'd like to have a nice comfy chair for reading, a daybed for napping and a picnic table for eating "outside" without us becoming a meal for the flies and mosquitoes.  We'd have to have some sheeting to roll down for rainy days or something (still trying to work that dilemma out in my mind).  But for now I'll just have to dream!

2 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I would love to have an enclosure like that and those clothes pins - great idea. sandie

Michelle G said...

super smart idea with the clothes pins! I can't tell you how many times I wrote names on sticks (like popsicle sticks) and they fell out - or rather probably one of my kids "harvested" them lol
OH I'd love an enclosure like that too! With a nice overhead - fan perfect!!!