Saturday, September 25, 2010

An Update...

Lately I'm feeling like I'm getting a handle on this diabetes thing. I'm consistently remembering to take my meds and doing well with drinking enough water and eating well.

The doctor had prescribed a Glyburide/Metformin combo in August. I've been doing well on that except that I do get hypoglycemia more times a week than I'd like. This is not something that I want to be on forever as I fully intend for my health to improve. But for now it is working pretty good for me.

I'm pretty sure that my body is still producing insulin but my cells are resistant. I don't want to remain on the Glyburide for more than a few months as it causes your pancreas to secrete more insulin--and I certainly don't want to wear my pancreas out!

I'm hoping to try out the herbal remedy Gymnema (which is about a quarter of the price as the prescription medication I'm taking) in the next few months and see if that works as well. It would be nice if I could take that instead of having to rely on prescription drugs. It also helps to curb sugar cravings which I do get from time to time.

My diet tends to run pretty low-carb. I am attempting to incorporate the Schwarzbein Principle Diet into my life. I'm eating at least 3 "square" meals a day and usually have at least 2 snacks in there somewhere throughout the day. I've looked at Suzanne Somers Somersizing program but think that it's not the best option for me having diabetes. The Schwarzbein Principle will take longer for me to achieve weight loss but is more practical and feels more natural.

My adrenal glands are shot as well so I am working towards healing those too--trying to keep my stress low and get enough sleep are the small goals for now. It all takes time. I didn't get into this mess in a day and I won't get out that quickly either.

I'm hoping to post a "typical" days food plan and some recipes soon.

No comments: