Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Never Happier to be Wrong!!

We are home from the funeral. I am so happy to report that my grandma was indeed saved and is with the Lord. See why it's important to stay in touch regularly with your family!! Actually, during the service, the pastor talked about her attending church before her health declined--and I remembered that fact. The pastor (who was also a relative) affirmed that she had received the Lord and was indeed saved. Oh, the tears of joy that I cried upon the realization!! Yippee!! Another dear soul to greet me on the day of my departure from this world.

Anyway, the day of the funeral was as perfect as possible except that my sisters couldn't come because of some sort of bug the kids had caught. The weather was gorgeous and it was so awesome to see family that I probably hadn't seen in 15 or even 20 years. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I saw them again!! I just wish we could've spent more time together!!

Something I had never consciously realized is that, my grandma, having been born in 1917, lived through WW I, WW II, the depression, the Korean and Vietnam wars (and by that time had sons in the military to worry about) and the more recent events as well. She lived through some of the most uncertain times this country has seen and raised a family as a single mother most of the time with the help of her family. She picked cotton and worked as a cook to support her children in a time where there was not "equal pay" for women. She really was an amazing, strong woman.

Though she was a big part of my life for so many years I just don't feel as though I truly knew her as well as I wish I could have. I wish that she would have kept journals and documented her life. Sure, family can tell me much about her life, but it would be nice to have heard it straight from her. I wonder if someday one of my grandchildren or great grandchildren will wonder about me. Hmmm. I think it's time to start writing.

No comments: