Friday, January 6, 2012

Time to Start Stratifying Seeds

I was reminded today that I needed to get my seeds stratifying--which basically means to put them through a winter of sorts.  To read about how to do it you can go here.  Some years I remember to do this but most years I forget until it's too late!!  By happy chance I came across a reminder today!!  :-)  Since we've moved I will be starting all over with many of the perennials that I had at the other place.

So here's what I'm going to put into the fridge for some chilling...

Amado Coneflower
Joe Pye Weed
Munstead Lavender
White Japanese Rose (rosa rugosa)
Valerian
Stinging Nettles

I will be planting inside shortly...

Precoce D' Argenteuil Asparagus
Naranjilla (a tropical garden berry)
Victoria Rhubarb
Australian Brown Onion
Red Burgundy Onion
Southport Red Globe Onion

The Onions will grow to be sets to place in the garden later this spring.  I've never grown onions from seed before so this ought to be interesting.  :-)  I'm also planning to sow some Stevia and grow it as a houseplant.  I've tried sowing it before and it never grew so we will see what happens.

A gardener's work is never done!!

No comments: